Sunday, August 13, 2006

Once More, I'm It

Every now and then I give in, mostly 'cause I'm flattered to be tagged. I'm jet-lagged, and there will be many slightly more contentful and coherent posts coming. But this meme's kinda awesome, anyhow.

I got tagged by Connor.

1. One book that changed my life:
Just one? I'll go with 1984 by George Orwell; it's the first that changed me in ways I can fully identify.

2. One book I've read more than once:
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, by Ken Kesey. I'm in the 10-15 readings range by now.

3. One book I'd want on a desert island:
Connor's idea, the Bible, was a good one. However, I think I'd go with The Atlantic Book of British and American Poetry, edited by Dame Edith Sitwell. I'd need poetry much more than narrative on a desert island, methinks, and the fuller an anthology the better.

4. One book that made me laugh:
America (The Book), by Jon Stewart and the writers of The Daily Show.

5. One book that made me cry:
Parable of the Talents, by Octavia E. Butler.

6. One book I wish had been written:
Inside the Mind of Laura Bush. Call me weird, but I really wanna know.

7. One book I wish had never been written:
I would like to say Autobiography of a Blue-Eyed Devil, by Inga Muscio, because it was fucking godawful, but I do know it's changed a couple of very decent people's lives for the better and far be it from me to take it away from them. Therefore, I'll go with Women As Lovers by Elfriede Jelinek. Also really, really, really terrible, a huge waste of my time, I had to read it because it was for my book club, and nobody offered me any even halfway-substantiated reasons why a reasonable human being might have considered it any good. Sigh.

8. One book I'm currently reading:
Michael Collins: A Biography, by Tim Pat Coogan. I got drawn into him and Eamon de Valera as characters while I was in Ireland. A longer post on that soon.

9. One book I've been meaning to read:
Again, just one? My bookshelf runneth over with things I have not read and really want to. But I just purchased, with the intention of reading it, Teaching Toward Freedom: Moral Commitment and Ethical Action in the Classroom by William Ayers.

10. The Four People I'm Tagging:
#1. Tyromaven
#2. Milligan
#3. Sarah N.
#4. Textaisle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home