Saturday, November 24, 2007

Not Just Lame, Lamé

Every now and then there seem to be a couple of weeks when I skip out. Sometimes on account of travel (as was the case this time around), sometimes for no reason I can figure out (I did have a week between the two travellin' Fridays). Thanks, and thanks for continuing to read while I was gone. That was nice of you. Now that I'm having a relaxing Saturday evening all to myself, I can at least make my first efforts at catching up.

Because I still don't have the energy to say much that's worthwhile, but am working on a post about songs and visceral reaction, I'm going to do one of those old RMPN posts, wherein I share a list that my dorm-mates and I, including Mxzzy, Chloegoth and DC, made during my second year of college, of "Covers That Should Happen." Some of them lack a certain subtlety, and some of them were much funnier in 2001, but I still have a particular soft spot for the list, and for numbers 12 and 23 in particular.

Covers That Should Happen

1) Britney Spears singing "White Trash"
2) Type O Negative singing "Good Ship Lollipop"
3) Stephen Hawking singing "Maxwell's Silver Hammer"
4) Andrea Boccelli singing "A Sweet Little Bullet from a Pretty Blue Gun"
5) 'N Sync singing "My Boyfriend's Back"
6) The Rolling Stones singing "Don't Fear the Reaper"
7) Vanilla Ice singing "I'm Black and I'm Proud"
8) Donny Osmond singing "Papa Don't Preach"
9) David Bowie singing "Gin and Juice"
10) Christina Aguilera singing "Too Legit"
11) RuPaul singing "Just Like a Woman"
12) Johnny Cash singing "Bohemian Rhapsody"
13) Larry Flynt singing "Walk This Way"
14) Robert Downey Jr. singing "Jailhouse Rock"
15) Bush the Elder and Bush the Younger singing "I Got You Babe"
16) Paul Reubens singing "Can't Touch This"
17) Aqua singing "Du Hast"
18) The Backstreet Boys singing "White Rabbit"
19) Ozzy Osborne singing "Sixteen Going on Seventeen"
20) Mariah Carey singing "Insane in the Brain"
21) Lee Ann Rimes singing "Big Pimpin'"
22) John Paul II singing "Losing My Religion"
23) Phillip Glass covering "Crimson and Clover"
24) Don King singing "Devil's Haircut"
25) Mike Tyson singing "Do You Hear What I Hear?"
26) Arnold Schwarzenegger singing "Act Naturally"
27) Metallica singing "Heard It Through the Grapevine"
28) Ronald Reagan singing "End of the World (As We Know It)"

3 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger Lonin said...

great to see you back gemma! this is going to carom around in my brain for certain. i love the idea of Johnny Cash doing "Bohemian Rhapsody". while i come up with some more of these to email to you, keep in mind... Tiny Tim *did* cover "Stairway to Heaven", and Bob Dylan *did* cover "This Old Man"!

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Lonin said...

hmm, well, i decided to "publicize" my contributions after all... let's see how these fit into the overall weft of things:

- Joanna Newsom singing "Semi-Charmed Life"
- Milli Vanilli singing "It Ain't Me, Babe"
- Leonard Cohen singing "Barbie Girl"
- Tom Waits singing "Liza with a 'Z'"
- The Sex Pistols singing "God Save the Queen" (i.e. the British national anthem)
- Emerson, Lake & Palmer singing "God Save the Queen" (i.e. the Sex Pistols song)
- Cee-Lo singing "All the Madmen" (actually, this could seriously be awesome)
- William Hung singing "21st Century Schizoid Man"
- Antony Hegarty singing "Trapped in the Closet" (acapella)
- The Pussycat Dolls singing "Welcome to the Machine"

and, actually, the more i think about it, the funnier Mike Tyson singing "Do You Hear What I Hear?" gets. plumb ridiculous, that is.

and, i actually do really want to hear TMBG cover "Two of Us" (Beatles) and Tom Waits cover "Waltzing's for Dreamers" (Richard Thompson, who also by-the-by covered "Oops, I Did It Again" -- first in English, then in Middle English!), so i suppose they're not quite worthy of the list above....

~lawrence:

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger R. Rayyan said...

somehow, Donny Osmond asking papa not to preach really appeals to me.

Also, my brain's on fire with visions of N-Sync doing some West Side Story choreographed battle of the boy bands with the Backstreet Boys while they sing, respectively, "my boyfriend's back" and "big girls don't cry".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home